Boot Hill Bunch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

speed vs dodge?

4 posters

Go down

speed vs dodge? Empty speed vs dodge?

Post  ReillyFriedlander Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:12 pm

This is probably a question for Ryan-
how (much) does speed advantage increase your opponent's chances of hitting you when you dodge?
Further more, is your accuracy rating directly your %to hit # (before item/schedule modifiers?) and can that # go higher than 100% (say 90% from full acc., +9 or higher bullets, +% schedule) before opponents -%to hit items?

i've been debating trying a new strategy vs. the speed demons:

speed vs dodge? Bull10

why bother using +9speed boots if you're not using every other speed item under the sun? Wouldn't this work long enough to put the hurt on 'em??

Need some programmer decipherin'
-Reilly Friedlander
ReillyFriedlander
ReillyFriedlander

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

speed vs dodge? Empty I've used those boots against Sydney Smith

Post  Lucius Smith Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:41 pm

It worked for a little bit but only slowed him down. He eventually got quite a bit of speed. For me it didn't really seem to work that well. I still had a hard time shooting him. But I guess it did seem to slow him down from hitting me. I'd love to see what Ryan thinks.

Lucius Smith

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

speed vs dodge? Empty Re: speed vs dodge?

Post  Ryan Perez Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:38 am

ReillyFriedlander wrote:how (much) does speed advantage increase your opponent's chances of hitting you when you dodge?
It increases their chance to hit by your difference of speed.

ReillyFriedlander wrote:Further more, is your accuracy rating directly your %to hit # (before item/schedule modifiers?) and can that # go higher than 100% (say 90% from full acc., +9 or higher bullets, +% schedule) before opponents -%to hit items?
As far as I know there is always a 5% chance to miss a shot (and my experience can confirm this (unfortunately)). This is how it might work: % chance to hit = min(95%, your (unbounded) chance to hit (may be greater than 100%) minus opponents accuracy modifiers).

ReillyFriedlander wrote:i've been debating trying a new strategy vs. the speed demons:

speed vs dodge? Bull10

I know some very good gunslingers using these boots and they are very good as long as the game doesn't take more than 20-30 rounds.
Ryan Perez
Ryan Perez

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ReillyFriedlander Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:26 pm

that's what I was thinking- advantage for short fight. thx for the analysis!
ReillyFriedlander
ReillyFriedlander

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post  gordy scott Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 am

The boots only work with say 1/2 shots from someone who has a lot of speed and what Ive been doing is using cower which i find works OK with the 1st 2 shots, after that there's no advantage.

Can i try and explain the speed and chance to hit in my own words affraid

I have always said this game works like online poker and it does to the point that a random number generator is at work. We all know that there is 5% of the available numbers that can be rolled that gives us all a chance of missing and they numbers will always be there for us to miss.
At full accuracy you have 1-95 that has to be rolled for a hit and 95-100 for the miss, with accuracy modifiers on that % of numbers remains but there are extra numbers in the pot for you to roll a hit. What the random number generator will do is add 9% on to the numbers you need to roll i.e add 1 number of each of say 1-9 so that 2 of each numbers exists in the pot and you have a 2/95 chance to roll that number which greatly increase,s your chance to hit.This is less evident when your at high accuracy because you mainly believe that your gonna hit anyway. However there is a greater variance at work and that's why at low accuracy there are so many hits mainly because say your at 50% accu then you have 1-50 to roll a hit and each number has a 1-100 chance of being rolled but with modifiers on there are more of the numbers you have to roll so many of those numbers will have a 2-100 chance to be rolled thus giving you still a greater chance to hit.
I also believe that severity is a very under estimated variable as i believe that if you have the speed on your side and hi severity mods on they overcome the opponents % to evade or their - chance of opponents chance to hit.

Speed mainly allows the generator to choose who has the chance to roll their numbers 1st and such apply their variables to their shot so if you have high speed you need severity to overcome any reduced chance to hit.

I think i have said this the way i believe it works if not then i am not explaining it right.
gordy scott
gordy scott

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down